A sample revised prelude for numeric classes

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:42:15 -0500

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

I've started writing up a more concrete proposal for what I'd like the
Prelude to look like in terms of numeric classes.  Please find it
attached below.  It's still a draft and rather incomplete, but please
let me know any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Best,
	Dylan Thurston

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

Revisiting the Numeric Classes
------------------------------
The Prelude for Haskell 98 offers a well-considered set of numeric
classes which cover the standard numeric types (Integer, Int,
Rational, Float, Double, Complex) quite well.  But they offer limited
extensibility and have a few other flaws.  In this proposal we will
revisit these classes, addressing the following concerns:

(1) The current Prelude defines no semantics for the fundamental
    operations.  For instance, presumably addition should be
    associative (or come as close as feasible), but this is not
    mentioned anywhere.

(2) There are some superfluous superclasses.  For instance, Eq and
    Show are superclasses of Num.  Consider the data type

> data IntegerFunction a = IF (a -> Integer)

    One can reasonably define all the methods of Num for
    IntegerFunction a (satisfying good semantics), but it is
    impossible to define non-bottom instances of Eq and Show.

    In general, superclass relationship should indicate some semantic
    connection between the two classes.

(3) In a few cases, there is a mix of semantic operations and
    representation-specific operations.  toInteger, toRational, and
    the various operations in RealFloating (decodeFloat, ...) are the
    main examples.

(4) In some cases, the hierarchy is not finely-grained enough:
    operations that are often defined independently are lumped
    together.  For instance, in a financial application one might want
    a type "Dollar", or in a graphics application one might want a
    type "Vector".  It is reasonable to add two Vectors or Dollars,
    but not, in general, reasonable to multiply them.  But the
    programmer is currently forced to define a method for (*) when she
    defines a method for (+).

In specifying the semantics of type classes, I will state laws as
follows:
  (a + b) + c === a + (b + c)
The intended meaning is extensional equality: the rest of the program
should behave in the same way if one side is replaced with the
other.  Unfortunately, the laws are frequently violated by standard
instances; the law above, for instance, fails for Float:

  (100000000000000000000.0 + (-100000000000000000000.0)) + 1.0 = 1.0
  100000000000000000000.0 + ((-100000000000000000000.0) + 1.0) = 0.0

Thus these laws should be interpreted as guidelines rather than
absolute rules.  In particular, the compiler is not allowed to use
them.  Unless stated otherwise, default definitions should also be
taken as laws.

This version is fairly conservative.  I have retained the names for
classes with similar functions as far as possible, I have not made
some distinctions that could reasonably be made, and I have tried to
opt for simplicity over generality.  The main non-conservative change
is the Powerful class, which allows a unification of the Haskell 98
operators (^), (^^), and (**).  There are some problems with it, but I
left it in because it might be of interest.  It is very easy to change
back to the Haskell 98 situation.

I sometimes use Simon Peyton Jones' pattern guards in writing
functions.  This can (as always) be transformed into Haskell 98
syntax.

> module NumPrelude where
> import qualified Prelude as P
> -- Import some standard Prelude types verbatim verbandum
> import Prelude(Bool(..),Maybe(..),Eq(..),Either(..),Ordering(..),
> 	         Ord(..),Show(..),Read(..),id)
>
> infixr 8  ^
> infixl 7  *
> infixl 7 /, `quot`, `rem`, `div`, `mod`
> infixl 6  +, -
>
> class Additive a where
>     (+), (-) :: a -> a -> a
>     negate   :: a -> a
>     zero     :: a
>
>      -- Minimal definition: (+), zero, and (negate or (-1))
>     negate a = zero - a
>     a - b    = a + (negate b)

Additive a encapsulates the notion of a commutative group, specified
by the following laws:

          a + b === b + a
   (a + b) + c) === a + (b + c)
       zero + a === a
 a + (negate a) === 0

Typical examples include integers, dollars, and vectors.

> class (Additive a) => Num a where
>     (*)         :: a -> a -> a
>     one	  :: a
>     fromInteger :: Integer -> a
>
>       -- Minimal definition: (*), one
>     fromInteger 0         = zero
>     fromInteger n | n < 0 = negate (fromInteger (-n))
>     fromInteger n | n > 0 = reduceRepeat (+) one n

Num encapsulates the mathematical structure of a (not necessarily
commutative) ring, with the laws

  a * (b * c) === (a * b) * c
      one * a === a
      a * one === a
  a * (b + c) === a * b + a * c

Typical examples include integers, matrices, and quaternions.

"reduceRepeat op a n" is an auxiliary function that, for an
associative operation "op", computes the same value as

  reduceRepeat op a n = foldr1 op (repeat n a)

but applies "op" O(log n) times.  A sample implementation is below.

> class (Num a) => Integral a where
>     div, mod :: a -> a -> a
>     divMod :: a -> a -> (a,a)
>     gcd, lcm :: a -> a -> a
>     extendedGCD :: a -> a -> (a,a,a)
>
>      -- Minimal definition: divMod or (div and mod)
>      --   and extendedGCD, if the provided definition does not work
>     div a b | (d,_) <- divMod a b = d
>     mod a b | (_,m) <- divMod a b = m
>     divMod a b = (div a b, mod a b)
>     gcd a b | (_,_,g) <- extendedGCD a b = g
>     extendedGCD a b = ... -- insert Euclid's algorithm here
>     lcm a b = (a `div` gcd a b) * b

Integral has the mathematical structure of a unique factorization
domain, satisfying the laws

                      a * b === b * a
  (div a b) * b + (mod a b) === a
              mod (a+k*b) b === mod a b
            a `div` gcd a b === zero
                    gcd a b === gcd b a
            gcd (a + k*b) b === gcd a b
                  a*c + b*d === g where (c, d, g) = extendedGCD a b

TODO: quot, rem partially defined.  Explain.
The default definition of extendedGCD above should not be taken as
canonical (unlike most default definitions); for some Integral
instances, the algorithm could diverge, might not satisfy the laws
above, etc.

Typical examples of Integral include integers and polynomials over a
field.

Note that, unlike in Haskell 98, gcd and lcm are member function of
Integral.  extendedGCD is new.

> class (Num a) => Fractional a where
>     (/)          :: a -> a -> a
>     recip        :: a -> a
>     fromRational :: Rational -> a
>
>      -- Minimal definition: recip or (/)
>     recip a = one / a
>     a / b = a * (recip b)
>     fromRational r = fromInteger (numerator r) / fromInteger (denominator r)

Fractional encapsulates the mathematical structure of a field,
satisfying the laws

           a * b === b * a
   a * (recip a) === one

TODO: (/) is only partially defined.  How to specify?  Add a member
      isInvertible :: a -> Bool?
Typical examples include rationals, the real numbers, and rational
functions (ratios of polynomials).

> class (Num a, Additive b) => Powerful a b where
>     (^) :: a -> b -> a
> instance (Num a) => Powerful a (Positive Integer) where
>     a ^ 0 = one
>     a ^ n = reduceRepeated (*) a n
> instance (Fractional a) => Powerful a Integer where
>     a ^ n | n < 0 = recip (a ^ (negate n))
>     a ^ n         = a ^ (positive n)

Powerful is the class of pairs of numbers which can be exponentiated,
with the following laws:

   (a ^ b) * (a ^ c) === a ^ (b + c)
             a ^ one === a

I don't know interesting examples of this structure besides the
instances above defined above and the Floating class below.
"Positive" is a type constructor that asserts that its argument is >=
0; "positive" makes this assertion.  I am not sure how this will
interact with defaulting arguments so that one can write

  x ^ 5

without constraining x to be of Fractional type.

> -- Note: I think "Analytic" would be a better name than "Floating".
> class (Fractional a, Powerful a a) => Floating a where
>     pi                  :: a
>     exp, log, sqrt      :: a -> a
>     logBase             :: a -> a -> a
>     sin, cos, tan       :: a -> a
>     asin, acos, atan    :: a -> a
>     sinh, cosh, tanh    :: a -> a
>     asinh, acosh, atanh :: a -> a
>
>         -- Minimal complete definition:
>         --      pi, exp, log, sin, cos, sinh, cosh
>         --      asinh, acosh, atanh
>     x ^ y            =  exp (log x * y)
>     logBase x y      =  log y / log x
>     sqrt x           =  x ^ 0.5
>     tan  x           =  sin  x / cos  x
>     tanh x           =  sinh x / cosh x

Floating is the type of numbers supporting various analytic
functions.  Examples include real numbers, complex numbers, and
computable reals represented as a lazy list of rational
approximations.

Note the default declaration for a superclass.  See the comments
below, under "Instance declaractions for superclasses".

The semantics of these operations are rather ill-defined because of
branch cuts, etc.

> class (Num a, Ord a) => Real a where
>     abs    :: x -> x
>     signum :: x -> x
>
>       -- Minimal definition: nothing
>     abs x    = max x (negate x)
>     signum x = case compare x zero of GT -> one
>				        EQ -> zero
>				        LT -> negate one

This is the type of an ordered ring, satisfying the laws

             a * b === b * a
     a + (max b c) === max (a+b) (a+c)
  negate (max b c) === min (negate b) (negate c)
     a * (max b c) === max (a*b) (a*c) where a >= 0

Note that abs is in a rather different place than it is in the Haskell
98 Prelude.  In particular,

  abs :: Complex -> Complex

is not defined.  To me, this seems to have the wrong type anyway;
Complex.magnitude has the correct type.

> class (Real a, Floating a) => RealFrac a where
> -- lifted directly from Haskell 98 Prelude
>     properFraction   :: (Integral b) => a -> (b,a)
>     truncate, round  :: (Integral b) => a -> b
>     ceiling, floor   :: (Integral b) => a -> b
>
>         -- Minimal complete definition:
>         --      properFraction
>     truncate x       =  m  where (m,_) = properFraction x
>
>     round x          =  let (n,r) = properFraction x
>                             m     = if r < 0 then n - 1 else n + 1
>                           in case signum (abs r - 0.5) of
>                                 -1 -> n
>                                 0  -> if even n then n else m
>                                 1  -> m
>
>     ceiling x        =  if r > 0 then n + 1 else n
>                         where (n,r) = properFraction x
>
>     floor x          =  if r < 0 then n - 1 else n
>                         where (n,r) = properFraction x

As an aside, let me note the similarities between "properFraction x"
and "x divMod 1" (if that were defined.)

> class (RealFrac a, Floating a) => RealFloat a where
>     atan2            :: a -> a -> a
>     atan2 y x
>       | x>0           =  atan (y/x)
>       | x==0 && y>0   =  pi/2
>       | x<0  && y>0   =  pi + atan (y/x)
>       |(x<=0 && y<0)  ||
>        (x<0 && isNegativeZero y) ||
>        (isNegativeZero x && isNegativeZero y)
>                       = -atan2 (-y) x
>       | y==0 && (x<0 || isNegativeZero x)
>                       =  pi    -- must be after the previous test on zero y
>       | x==0 && y==0  =  y     -- must be after the other double zero tests
>       | otherwise     =  x + y -- x or y is a NaN, return a NaN (via +)
>
> class (Real a, Integral a) => RealIntegral a where
>     quot, rem        :: a -> a -> a
>     quotRem          :: a -> a -> (a,a)
>
>       -- Minimal definition: toInteger
>     -- insert quot, rem, quotRem definition here
>
> --- Numerical functions
> subtract         :: (Additive a) => a -> a -> a
> subtract         =  flip (-)
>
> even, odd        :: (Integral a) => a -> Bool
> even n           =  n `div` 2 == 0
> odd              =  not . even

Additional standard libraries would include IEEEFloat (including the
bulk of the functions in Haskell 98's RealFloat class), VectorSpace,
Ratio, and Lattice.  Let me explain that last one.

-----

> module Lattice where
> class Lattice a where
>     meet, join :: a -> a -> a

Mathematically, a lattice (more properly, a semilattice) is a space
with operations "meet" and "join" which are idempotent, commutative,
associative, and (usually) distribute over each other.  Examples
include real-valued function with (pointwise) max and min and sets
with union and intersection.  It would be reasonable to make Ord a
subclass of this, but it would probably complicate the class heirarchy
too much for the gain.  The advantage of Lattice over Ord is that it
is better defined.  Thus we can define a class

> class (Lattice a, Num a) => NumLattice a where
>     abs :: a -> a -> a
>     abs x = meet x (negate x)

and real-valued functions and computable reals can both be declared as
instances of this class.

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--