Pointers in Haskell??

ADAMS,RICHARD (Non-HP-Roseville,ex1) richard_adams@non.hp.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:29:39 -0800

I would also recommend the following book, which, in Chapter 3, =
discusses
graph reduction, closures, and pointers:

   Fethi Rabhi, and Guy Lapalme.  Algorithms: a functional
   programming approach; Second Edition.  Addison-Wesley, 1999.

Another useful book, but probably not for the beginner, is

   Chris Okasaki.  Purely Functional Data Structures.
   Cambridge University Press, 1998, 1999.

Best Regards,

Richard E. Adams
Softmatrix, Inc.
Roseville, CA
Email: richard_adams@non.hp.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Hayes (Hayes Technologies)
[mailto:bryan.hayes@hayestechnologies.com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 7:30 AM
To: haskell-cafe@haskell.org
Subject: Pointers in Haskell??

I am totally new to Haskell, so maybe this is a stupid question.
Various languages have pointers (or references), for good reason.
Haskell can at least partly do without them (they are only existing
internally somehow).
My question is: Does Haskell principally not need pointers (i.e. in =
case of
2 data structures needing to reference an other very
large data structure) or is this a design flaw or have a overlooked
something?

HAYES TECHNOLOGIES Software Speed Optimization
Bryan Hayes
Managing Director
Mannheimer Str. 8
D-67098 Bad D=FCrkheim