help me!!!!

Hannah Schroeter uk1o@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:35:52 +0200

Hello!

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:08:26PM +1000, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> Hannah Schroeter <uk1o@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote,

> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:29:16PM +1000, Garry Hadiwibowo wrote:

> > Perhaps some people would be more eager to help you if you were writing
> > in plain text instead of HTML.

> I think, it would be better if nobody helps Garry with his
> assignment work.  In particular, as very specific penalties
> have been set out for plagiarism which explicitly include
> the attempt to solicit help from a public mailing lists.

> I am sorry for the noise - keeping 600+ first-year students
> at bay is sometimes a bit challenging.

Yes I know. There has been a private response of Garry (again in HTML).
In this case, I replied thus:
- another HTML mail and I won't reply any more
- some explanations about help wrt assignment works.

HTML: That bloats mails unnecessarily, and at least here (mutt), it's
less readable and I can't quote any of the HTML text in replies
(except with much hassles). Please write plain ASCII.

Assignments: I don't think there should be no help available for
homeworks at all. But "I don't want to do anything, please solve
the homework for me" isn't okay. It's okay like this: "I have that.
I'm honest: That is an assignment. I've tried this <some source>
and run into problem XYZ. I tried to get around that problem thusly
but failed. Could you point me some steps ahead/around the problem?".

That has, IIRC, also been good practise on the Haskell lists as well
as on the programming newsgroups I know of.

Enough said, I hope.

Kind regards,

Hannah.