Pickling

Mark Carroll mark@chaos.x-philes.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:22:01 -0400 (EDT)

On 21 Aug 2001, Ketil Malde wrote:
(snip)
> Can you use Read and Show?  I mean, not ideal for all purposes, but
> very standard.
(snip)

I figured it would be quite a waste having the computer convert the data
to human-readable form and then parsing it again when a human's not going
to be reading the intervening datastream. Even just converting the numbers
to ASCII and back takes time when there's quite a few of them.

(snip)
> Well, 'efficiently' is a problem. :-)

Apparently so! (-: Thanks anyway.

Of course, I can get by with an inefficient version where I have to write
some pickling and unpickling code for lots of my types, until something
better shows up! I assume it will someday.

-- Mark