"Lambda Dance", Haskell polemic, etc. on O'Reilly site

Bill Halchin bhalchin@hotmail.com
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:56:53

Hello,

    I think Dejan has written in a good spirit and has many cogent
points, especially for example with regard to Python. I guess the
bottom line is don't be too think-skinned about what seems to me to
be constructive criticism. In the FPL community, it is easy to
maintain a siege mentality. Before I worked at Microsoft Hotmail.
I asked one person (well known) who does research at Microsoft
Research on Haskell. I asked him if any projects inside Microsoft
were implemented using Haskell and he said no. Of course, this is
not his fault. Management has to see that they are not going "out on
a limb" to use FPLs. I know that Sun wrote at least one tool in
Scheme (albeit it doesn't have ref. transparency).

Regards,
Bill Halchin