Will Haskell be commercialized in the future?

Jason Stokes jstok@bluedog.apana.org.au
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:39:56 +1100

Christian Lescher wrote:

> In my opinion there are many more real world problems, that can be most
> efficiently solved with functional languages like Haskell, as (software)
> industry can think of at the moment; they only know their C/C++, Java,
> etc. but can't even think of the power of functional programming or at
> least don't take languages like Haskell for full. (Of corse, there are
> exceptions to the rule, too.)
>
> What do you think: Will Haskell (the related compilers/tools) be
> "commercialized" in the future?

I very much doubt that a "pure" Haskell (ie, a pure functional language)
is a marketable proposition, but certainly "impure" functional languages
or languages with heavy functional aspects (ML, Lisp, Erlang etc.) which
retain imperative elements have the potential to break through and start
a resurgence of functional techniques in the commercial world.  Before
that happens people must become disillusioned with Java, C, C++ and
other mainstays of the commercial developer, of course.