[GUI] GUI on MacBook Pro

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 3 22:03:10 EDT 2008

Hi George,

> Anyone developing with Haskell on a MacBook (Intel x86_64 processor)?
>
> I am particularly interested in any experience with getting a GUI up
> and running.

I think this mailing list is long defunct.

Anyway, I am actually a Mac user, too.  I think GUI library support
for Macs is rather underdeveloped in Haskell right now :/  There is no
particular reason, except that nobody put in the required work.  This
is for Mac-specific GUI support.  If you are willing to go via X11,
the Gtk2Hs bindings <http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/> work on Mac OS X,
too.

There used to be a project developing a Haskell to Objective-C bridge

   http://hoc.sourceforge.net/

which makes it reasonably easy to get at Mac OS libraries, but
unfortunately nobody has maintained that for a while.

If you'd like to do something to improve this situation, that'd be
great.

Cheers,
Manuel