[GUI] Re: Re: Gtk and Object I/O

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 19:20:09 EST 2006

Perhaps, as others have suggested, an intermediate approach.  Have the top
level be of a form suited for Haskell.  Have the middle level be linkage to
a binding library, and specify one binding library (say, GTK), which is
likely to be available.

This approach has the limitation that one can't do anything that isn't
covered by the low-level library, so don't fixate on one particular low
level library.  But pick one that's available to start with.  Later, after
the high and mid levels are well developed, one can implement them also via
bindings to other graphic kits (which, perhaps, aren't as portable...or at
least not yet ported as much).  Perhaps it will turn out that the first
choice of a low level library is the wrong one.  In that case only one
section of the code would need to be re-written.  (Well, in an ideal world.
I'm aware of how features leak through the levels.  If I need to load an
image file, it matters what formats the toolkit can handle.)

I've been searching though languages and graphic toolkits, and I can promise
you I haven't yet found an ideal one of either.  I'm trying to force myself
to settle for "good enough" so I can stop searching.  The best isn't only
the enemy of the good, it also the enemy of any actual implementation.