[GUI] Re: Future of Haskell: GUI development

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller at gmx.net
Sun Sep 14 14:53:23 EDT 2003

Nick Name wrote:

> Am I unsubscribed to this list, or people do not want to comment on
> anymore? The main problem of wxwin was, according to (if I remember
> well) Wolfgang Thaller, that it does not feel native on OSX; so I guess
> the opinion of some OSX user or developer would be interesting now.

It actually looks and feels better than I expected. While it is not
perfect, it appears to be moving in the right direction. The biggest
problems with the current Mac OS X version of wxWindows seem to stem
from it's backward compatibility with Mac OS 8 and 9, rather than it's
cross-platform nature.

Specifying and implementing a CGA that works better (for basic tasks)
than wxWindows will take some time, and I have been convinced that it
is not certain that we would succeed. I'm therefore stepping aside and
giving wxWindows & wxHaskell a chance.

However, if you or someone else on the list would like to continue
discussing the subject of a Common GUI API, feel free to do so. While
im not interested in spending large amounts of time on this at this
point in time, I'll still watch the list in case anybody has questions
that fall in my area of expertise (i.e. Mac OS).
If there is progress on this CGA (like, for example, a specification
that looks like it can be implemented _well_ on all platforms), or if
wxWindows fails to meet my expectations in the future, I might also
become more interested in this approach again.

Cheers,

Wolfgang