[GUI] Class/Object Hierarchy

David Sankel camio@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 17:46:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Axel and Wolfgang for convincing me.
Perhaps, later, an CGA extention that allows for fully
dynamic layout (including changing parents, etc.)
could be developed later.  It would clearly require a
lot more from it's backends.

--- Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:
> The HBox and VBox you presented, David, seem to be
> overly simplified. For
> each widget in a box Gtk needs to know if the widget
> expands, stays its
> natural size or pads excess space. I guess other
> toolkits work
> differently.

You're right about that.  Qt, what I'm most used to,
defines this information to be an attribute of the
object, which makes a lot of sense.  Here is what I
wrote earlier about that:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.gui/461

> I think we should start with the
> easiest layout mechanism,
> which I suppose is the grid.

HBox and VBox are probably the first think I am going
to implement in the example.  If we have a clear-cut
definition of a grid, I'll do that too.

David J. Sankel