[GUI] Towards a low level specification?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:44:20 +0000

Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:

> 2. by designing a weird interface in the IO monad, similar to the ones
> we find in traditional imperative languages, we will produce the core
> much faster; it will be minimal and open to other implementation; also,
> people will have more time to think to nice syntaxen and the state
> handling issues; so it's better not to do any mid-level stuff right now.

A related issue is that, ideally, the common API should start at as
low a level as possible, so that as much code as possible only needs
to be implemented once rather than separately for each back-end.

The inherent differences between the various back-ends will inevitably
provide a push towards a higher-level interface; it's up to the
designers to provide the opposing force.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>