Concurrency (was: Re: [GUI] Re: events & callbacks)

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:02:35 +0100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:22:46 +0000
Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

>   Yes, please. You got my vote for that. No preemptive concurrency
>   with GUIs.

Can you explain a bit more what this is going to mean? I see many
advantages in multithreading, and there's people wich works with
multithreading in C and succeeds.

Now, please make your choiches, but when you decide something important,
in one direction or in another, please think and discuss it twice,
playing the devil's advocate if necessary, and document your reasons;
you are doing an important design work and with the results of this work
people in the haskell community are going to present haskell as a
real-world, general purpose programming language to potential customers.

--- how to play the devil's advocate with the os threads matter :) ---

Will we in the 2005, with hardware thread support in baby monitors and
coffee machines, go to software engineers and tell them "you will do
everything in one OS thread, but this functional language is really
cool" ?

Can we *really* be sure that the only FFI need of a real project is the
GUI? So, can we really be sure that when the "threadsafe" attribute will
be enabled by default in GHC, we are not going to make use of that
feature?---

Vincenzo