[GUI] Re: Events and finalizers

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:18:14 +0100

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:38:23 +0000
Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

> This
>  must be difficult to model with streams or if you spawn threads in a
>  callback. I think abstraction here is more subtle in practice and to
>  develop a universial solution turns out to be more difficult than
>  expected.

Surely ;) I have *never* said streams are good enough for everything. I
just don't want to renounce to them in a lazy functional language. The
case you are mentioning involves the use of a "Response" type, wich is a
mess due to synchronization. In this case a monad (and so, a callback)
is just better, and that's why monads are so popular!
>  Nevertheless, I think streams are nice. Do you think it's possible to
>  define the CGA just with events and implement streams on top of it?
>  If it can be formulated as separate library, then we don't need to
>  solve all these problems right now.

Yeah, that is what I am proposing in the conclusion, I have not really
been clear, if you are the second man asking me this: the fact that
there are many decisions to take, induces me to say that a general
library could be developed outside the GUI task force, if I am not the
only one willing to do it; in few words, I changed my mind in response
to the discussion, and prefer you and others to concentrate on
functionalities and somebody else to solve technical issues about
streams.

Vincenzo

--
Teatri vuoti e inutili potrebbero affollarsi
se tu ti proponessi di recitare te