[GUI] GUI meeting at ICFP?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:44:36 +0200

On Thursday, 2003-07-24, 10:23, CEST, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> [...]

> Bottom of the list is:
> 	- functionality
> 	- native look and feel

Did native look-and-feel really have such a low priority?

> [...]

> I think it'd be fine to pick *one* library (Wx, Motif, X11, Tk, whatever)
> and allow that to influence the design of what gets exposed to the Haskell
> programmer.  Apart from anything else, it makes life easier by taking a lot
> of design decisions (for better or worse) out of our hands.  Once an
> underlying library is chosen, many things get fixed.
>
> I'm not against sexy, interesting designs built by one person -- far from it
> -- but I desperately want One Thing that is multiply supported, even if the
> One Thing is not very sexy.

Well, people probably won't use the interesting alternative libraries because
they have a standard platform. The problem I see is that we get a not so well
designed standard interface and better approaches just don't have a chance to
get widely used.

> [...]

> Simon

Wolfgang