Portable GUI levels (was: Re: [GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O)

Sengan.Baring-Gould@nsc.com Sengan.Baring-Gould@nsc.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:44:26 -0500

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:48:31 +0100
"Nick Name" <nick.name@inwind.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:25:51 -0500
> Sengan.Baring-Gould@nsc.com wrote:
>

> >  One interesting feature of SWT is to provide native access to any
> >  widget that exists on a given platform, but to emulate those that
> >  don't (in Java -- in our case Haskell)
>
> This way you are not achieving native look and feel.

The example they gave was tree widgets which are not supported by Motif,
and which are therefore emulated. If a program assumes the existence of
a widget, it is useful for the library supports it on an emasculated platform.
If the program author feels like changing his program to no longer use such
a feature on that platform to satisfy the Look and Feel gods, she/he is free
to do so. I doubt many people would really want the native look & feel version
in this case.

> BTW, I 've seen many people mention the "just one menubar per
> application in aqua" problem.

Every time you spawn a new Acrobat you get a new menu with it. It just doesn't
go at the top of the screen as on old Macs. I don't know what new Macs do.
I'd be surprised if MDI is forced on you in gtk. It isn't in Windows: you can
open a new window and put a menu on it if you want.

Sengan