[GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O

seth@cql.com seth@cql.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:33:10 -0700 (MST)

On 24-Jan-2003 Nick Name wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:24:52 +0000
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>> If every other program uses Ctrl-V for paste,
>>  but one program doesn't
>
> Or, the worse, if every other program can cut and paste attributed text,
> and my program pastes something like
>
> <color=red>hi all</color>
>
> or if every other program uses a clipboard manager, and my program uses
> another (like it happened in the old days trying to mix kde and gtk
> apps).

Specifically in the area of cut and paste X is an unrecoverable mess.  No way
to fix this without hacking X itself, so this is a dead end as far as this
discussion thread is concerned.  Not that the point is not completely valid,
just that we'll be stuck with inconsistent use of cut and paste until the end
of time, or the end of X, whichever comes first.