[GUI] Re: Proposal Proposal: haskell-gui addendum to haskell standard

Krasimir Angelov ka2_mail@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:51:35 -0800 (PST)

--- David Sankel <camio@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1.  Platform independance:  The QT widget library is
> stunning example of how platform independance is
> achievable without sacraficing speed.  I am not
> suggesting that we build haskell-gui off of QT but
> might use major components of it as a model.
> Eventually, the library could have three backends;
> the
> Windows API, the X API (or gtk perhaps?), and the
> Mac
> API (the name illudes me at the moment).

I am already started development in that way. There is
one Haskell library with two backend one for Win32 and
other for GTK. The backends are written in C and over
that is the Haskell layer. The development of backends
was started in my first attempt to port ObjectIO to
GTK. But the trouble with ObjectIO was that its
current implementation is too Windows specific for
that reason I was started HToolkit project at
SourceForce. In the new project, the backends are
extended far away behind ObjectIO limitations. In the
last few weeks we together with Daan Leijen was
started development of the new Port library. The goal
is to separate HToolkit GUI library in two levels. The
low level is a simple portable library with raw IO
interface and the high level is HToolkit. This allows
development of several high-level interfaces with
common low-level.
   I completely agree that the standard GUI must have
different backends in the different platforms. I am
completely agree with Wolfgang Jeltsch:

> In my opinion the big problem of Qt and similar
> libraries is that they ar=
> e not=20
> based on high level APIs. For instance, under
> Windows, Qt doesn't use the=
> =20
> support for handling buttons, checkboxes etc. that
> Windows provides but=20
> provides its own handling of these widgets

   In addition: I don't like to use nonnative
libraries like GTK on Windows. Why need I use
GtkButton widget when there is the standard BUTTON
window?

Krasimir