[GUI] Small JAPI binding for GHC in CVS

Mike Thomas miketh@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:03:50 +1000

Hi there.

Under "fptools/libraries/Japi" (the GHC CVS repository) please find a
preliminary binding to a subset of the Japi library:

   http://www.japi.de/

from which site you can obtain precompiled libraries and headers for
different platforms.

Japi is a simple C wrapper on Java which means that either "jre" or "java"
needs to be in your path, but it avoids callbacks and uses the Haskell 98
FFI so I would expect it to be easy to port to "nhc98".  You have to do an
event loop in Haskell.

The makefiles have been tested with MinGW32 GHC, but I expect you would need
little effort under Linux, for example.  Some examples are provided
including a Fractal program, based on the C originals including the one
below which will probably have mangled formatting courtesy of Outlook.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.
module Main(main) where

import Graphics.UI.Japi.Binding
import Graphics.UI.Japi.Types
import Graphics.UI.Japi.Constants
import Control.Monad

main = do j_setdebug 4
	  rv <- j_start
	  when (0 == rv)
          (error "Could not start the JAPI server (jre or java)")
	  frame <- j_frame "Frame demo"
	  j_show (Object $ fromIntegral $ frame)
	  icon  <- j_loadimage "../c-examples/images/new.gif"
	  when (0 == icon) (error "Could not find the icon file.")
	  j_seticon frame icon
	  waitForFrameAction frame
	  return j_quit

waitForFrameAction :: Frame -> IO ()
waitForFrameAction frame =
    do rv <- j_nextaction
       when (not (rv == (EventListener $ fromIntegral $ frame)))
              (waitForFrameAction frame)
       return ()