[GUI] I love GIO.

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:28:47 +0000

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:24:19PM -0800, Krasimir Angelov wrote:

> --- Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Note that in both
> > settings it is possible
> > to put one button into two different container. But
> > only in the Object I/O
> > approach this can easily be detected (you keep all
> > created rIds in an
> > array and see if they have been used yet). In GIO
> > you would need to
> > traverse the whole widget tree of all windows to
> > determine if a button is
> > already inserted somewhere else.
>
> I don't know how this is made with wxWindows, but in
> GIO for Port the container for the button is specified
> as argument to "button" function. Once created the
> button cann't change its parent.
Oh, ok. So you specify the parent of a widget when you create it, thus a
widget can never have two parents. Makes sense. In that case I opt for the
Yaho/GIO approach instead of the algebraic data structure approach (Object
I/O).

> The trouble here is
> with "layout" attribute. Its setter should chech when
> all widget inside the Layout data are assigned to the
> target widget. I suppose that with wxWindows the case
> is similar with the Port.
I am not sure I understand. Would it solve the problem if "layout" is๑ a
read-only attribute (like Sven Panne suggested)?

Axel.