[GUI] after the opinion poll

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:47:00 -0500

--Y5rl02BVI9TCfPar

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:32:37AM -0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Elements of the consensus (your section 2) seem to be
>=20
> * Cross-platform portability is very important, meaning: the
> 	same Haskell program should run on many platforms
>...=20
> * The implementation technology (i.e. which underlying library is
> 	used) is not part of the specification.  Indeed, it's a goal
> 	that the specification should constrain the implementation
> 	technology as little as possible.  Specifically:
>=20
> 	(a) the specification should be such that it is possible=20
> 	to implement the spec with native look and feel

In the discussion, I saw considerable concern that these two goals
might be incompatible, that it's not possible to provide really good
native look and feel on multiple platforms.  To address this, I saw
this point being mentioned:

* The specification should be extensible, so that non-portable Haskell
	programs can provide better native look and feel.

Best,
	Dylan Thurston

--Y5rl02BVI9TCfPar

--Y5rl02BVI9TCfPar--