[GUI] wxWindows and MacOS

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:25:27 +0100

Krasimir Angelov wrote:

>     Is there anybody which is tried wxWindows under
> MacOS? How native is it under Mac?

I tried it. I had some build problems with some of the examples, so I
haven't seen everything.
Some first impressions:
*) All the widgets look and feel native
*) The "Grow Box" (window-resizing handle) that intrudes into the
lower-right corner of a window on MacOS often covers scroll bar arrows
or other controls
*) I haven't seen a multiple-document sample app (probably one of those
that didn't compile out of the box), so I don't know if it works in a
Mac-like way (app should stay open when last window is closed).
*) "Exit" Items in the File menu (NOOOO!!!)
*) Most sample programs don't provide keyboard shortcuts for many
commands where it is expected on the Mac
*) Buttons in dialog boxes are placed in the wrong order (another place
where MacOS conventions are different from everything else)

"Verdict":
It is probably possible to write a Mac application that looks and feels
"right" using wxWindows. However, wxWindows doesn't provide enough
abstraction to make it happen automatically (i.e. without the
programmer spending extra time for the Mac OS port).

Cheers,

Wolfgang