[GUI] after the opinion poll

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:32:37 -0000

Well done! =20

Elements of the consensus (your section 2) seem to be

* Cross-platform portability is very important, meaning: the
	same Haskell program should run on many platforms

* The primary goal is to define a mid-level API, at the general
	level of Object I/O or GIO

* The implementation technology (i.e. which underlying library is
	used) is not part of the specification.  Indeed, it's a goal
	that the specification should constrain the implementation
	technology as little as possible.  Specifically:

	(a) the specification should be such that it is possible=20
	to implement the spec with native look and feel

	(b) the specification should be such that a free-software
	implementation is possible

I'd like to suggest a non-goal
=09
  * The specification API should be Haskell 98

GUIs are an area where muti-parameter type classes and existentials are
really useful, and it's a pity not to use them.  Let's stick to features
in the intersection of GHC and Hugs, though.

Simon

|=20
| Hi all,
|=20
| I summarized everything that was said on this email list. I put the
result
| on the web and would like to ask everybody to review it and correct
what I
| got wrong:
|=20
| http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/people/staff/as49/poll.pdf
|=20
| After everyone has agreed to what they've said, I'd like to formulate
some
| sort of majority opinion and from that a mission statement.
|=20
| Thank you,
| Axel.
|=20