Platform-Specific Extensions (was Re: [GUI] Dynamic sizing.)

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:58:08 +0200

> In any case, my bottom line is that, even if you provide a portable
> geometry management mechanism, I ought to be able to just use actual
> XmForm, XmRowColumn etc widgets for the Motif version of an
> application. In particular, stylistic attributes (e.g. spacing,
> margins) which are set via resources need to be respected.

We could just add a platform-specific extension for the Motif backend.
If somebody wants to implement a portable XmForm "clone", we could move
it to the CGA proper.

Proposal for Platform-Specific extensions:

1) Every backend may add additional functions to the CGA, which are
only available for that backend.
2) Such platform-specific functions must be clearly marked as such.
I suggest that we follow the example of OpenGL and mark extensions
using a suffix to the name, e.g.
mkXmForm_EXT, loadNibFile_EXT, etc.

We could also use a platform-specific suffix, e.g.
mkXmForm_MOTIF, loadNibFile_MAC etc.

3) A backend maintainer doesn't need to ask other backend maintainers
for permission when adding extensions.

Opinions?

Cheers,

Wolfgang