[GUI] State, Attributes and Some basic widgets

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:12:00 +0100

Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net> writes:
> The main problem which I see with that is that the portability
> constraint would dictate that you either:
>
> a) only support those attributes which exist on all platforms [...]
> b) support all of the attributes which exist on any platform, [...]

This is a portability issue.

We can deal with portability issues through static checks (e.g.,
typesystem) or dynamic checks which either lead to problems being
ignored or are flagged as runtime errors but, whatever we do, we still
have to tackle the portability issue.

I don't see any value in confusing questions of how we enforce
restrictions and catch errors with questions of portability.

--
Alastair