[GUI] State, Attributes and Some basic widgets

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:00:07 +0100

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:34:50PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
>
> > After all, for an application where we create the UI programmatically,
> > we would want to do localization via our own string-table mechanism. If
> > I wanted to localize just the Xt version of an application, I'd use X
> > resources, but if I want to localize a program for three platforms, I'd
> > want the application to just use it's own string table mechanism... I
> > wouldn't want to have to localize it three times.
>
> While I can see the advantage of providing your own i18n mechanism
> (potentially less work), it would be a "second best", IMHO. For the Xt
> version, allowing the user to customise it via X resources is the
> "native" approach. In order for that to work, it's necessary that the
> application doesn't override the X resources programmatically.

We want to provide the native look'n'feel for every platform as far as
possible. But when it comes to the underlying architecture, we can make
compromises. IMHO we should make compromises otherwise the CGA will be
nothing but a vage set of recommendation on how to name your functions.
Translating strings into different languages should be centralized and,
since it is not GUI specific, should be done in the internationalization
library. So it should probably be something like gettext. Of course, if
you specify your resources in a file, you need to make sure that gettext
is called on each string.

Axel.