[GUI] Re: Widget Names (was: State, Attributes and Some basic widgets)

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:06:17 +0200

> If you want code to work on all toolkits, you have to provide it. It
> would also be necessary if we wanted to implement some of Xt's
> features (e.g. customisation through external files, e.g. for I18N)
> for other toolkits.

Hmm...
Could you point me to an overview of what that X resource stuff really
does and how it really works?

> This also simplifies coding. The UI creation code doesn't need to
> store lots of handles for later reference; code can obtain the
> run-time handle using the widget's pathname.

I like storing my handles because I want compile-time safety.... but it
wouldn't hurt if that feature was there.

One more question: what about platform-specific interface definitions
(e.g. nib files on Mac OS) that don't contain textual widget names?

Cheers,

Wolfgang