[GUI] Dynamic ... something

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia@cli.di.unipi.it
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:01:02 +0200

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:20:29 +0100
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net> wrote:

> I doubt that anyone considers interface builders
>  or an editres clone to be a priority

I sometimes wonder how the model we are designing will fit with
interface builders. I personally think that an interface builder is an
important priority. While I don't like RAD, I like using the right
instrument for every purpose, and designing an interface seems like a
task for a paint-like program. Or for a latex-like language, I am not
sure :)

So, to remain in-topic, how do you people think about a GUI builder
written in CGA, for the CGA?

Perhaps a requirement for the project is that we need to be able to
create custom widget that "look like a button, but behave like a
drawing", or something like this.

That would mean to have a type for "looks", and that widget should have
an optional attribute of that type; one should to be able to:

get the "look" property for widget "A"

and then

set the "look" property for widget "B" with the value obtained by the
former operation.

There could be "look" type constants. I don't see a real path in the
definition of such an interface, nor I can understand immediatly if it's
mid-level or high-level. Maybe somebody has clearer ideas on this?

Vincenzo