-dinline-check for symbolic names?

Michael Sperber sperber at deinprogramm.de
Wed Aug 18 13:14:09 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 10 2021, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> It's hard to tell what is happening without a repro case. Can you share one?

Haven't been able to do that with <10MB of output, I'm afraid ...

> You suggested that it might have something to do with using an
> operator.  Does the same thing happen if you replace the operator with
> an alpha-numeric name?

I've now concluded several things are coming together.  As things
started working with INLINE [0] instead of INLINE, it's not the symbolic
name.

First, reading the ghc source code suggests I can only have one
-ddinline-check. Correct?

Also, I'm guessing that the inlining I didn't see reported by
-dinline-check happened inside the simplifier pass inserted by the
ConCat plugin.  (And hence INLINE [0] moved it out of that pass.)  Is it
possible that the flag isn't getting propagated there?

(Sorry for being vague - if you don't know offhand, it's not worth
digging without more info from me.)

--
Regards,
Mike