InstanceSigs -- rationale for the "must be more polymorphic than"

Anthony Clayden anthony.d.clayden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 01:35:19 UTC 2021

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 21:15, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I think you see why the instance sig must be at least as polymorphic ...

Thanks Simon, I do now see, but I'd have to say there's a heck of lot of
questions on StackOverflow (most not from me) being surprised/asking why.
See more below.

I agree with David’s (1) and (2) reasons, but not with (3) or (4), neither
> of which I quite understand.

(1) is documented in the User Guide, but the magic words "compiler-checked"
don't appear.

(2) is documented and illustrated, but in that example the ScopedTyVar is
superfluous.

> There is no compelling reason to make the instance signature *more*
> polymorphic

I think there's an ergonomics reason (which is illustrated but not
explained):

(5) If the instance is constrained, there's no need to repeat the
constraints in the InstanceSig, so reducing clutter/making the Sig easier
to read (as you say). This results in making the InstanceSig more
polymorphic:

>    data T a = MkT a a>    instance Eq a => Eq (T a) where*>   *   (==) :: T a -> T a -> Bool   -- The signature*>   *   (==) (MkT x1 x2) (MkTy y1 y2) = x1==y1 && x2==y2

That Sig could be

*>    *  (==) :: Eq a => T a -> T a -> Bool   -- repeat constraint, but clutter

> – that is, doing so does not increase expressiveness.  But it might make a
> briefer, more comprehensible type for the reader.  The only alternative
> would be to insist that the two types are the same, a completely redundant
> test, but one you might conceivably want on stylistic grounds.

More to the point: it would bring into scope the ScopedTyVars.

> All in all, no big deal.  Instance signature are a convenience, never a
> necessity.
>

> If you would like to offer a patch for the user manual to explain this
> better, that would be great.

[Discussion cont. from first para]:

 ... [more polymorphic] than the instantiated signature from the class –
> because that’s what the client is going to expect.  We are building a
> record of functions, and they must conform to the class signature.

And that answer is unsatisfactory. It amounts to: we didn't think in
advance how useful it would be to put tighter constraints on methods --
particularly for the tyvars that are 'private' to the method/not from the
instance head -- that is within Constructor classes. Allowing that would be
a partial (heh, heh) way towards 'Restricted Data Types' Hughes 1999 and
Eisenberg et al 2020 (ref'ing many earlier attempts), and indeed Haskell
Language Report vintage 1990 (the design before 'stupid theta').

I suppose it's beyond a wild dream to allow the InstanceSig to be at least
as polymoprhic wrt the types/vars from the instance head but possibly less
polymorphic wrt the method's private types/vars? The actual type inferred
would be the mgu of the InstanceSig given with the substitution from the
instance head & constraints.