Avoiding construction of dead dictionaries

Tom Smeding x at tomsmeding.com
Mon Aug 9 15:26:27 UTC 2021

Hi Mike,

> But wouldn't that imply that ghc can build dictionary-construction code

> that evaluates to bottom? Can that happen?

I assume no, but here the dictionary is embedded as a field in the GADT, right? So if the data value is bottom, there is not even a dictionary to be found, let alone not-bottom.

This assumes that the Dict in `Entail (Sub Dict)` is a GADT like

Dict :: Con b => Dict something

where the Con dictionary is contained in the GADT. Remember that in Core, dictionaries are values, and there is no difference between => and ->.

- Tom