"... causes overflow in R_X86_... relocation"

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Oct 17 12:42:33 UTC 2020

Hi.

I have a litte program named "svumb", which compiles and links without error
or warning message. But when I start it, this happens:

build/svumb: Symbol `qtahzmqt5zm0zi7zi0zm4ATcbzzMngNWCbnemaqWUdM_GraphicsziUIziQtahziGeneratedziWidgetsziQMessageBox_setText_closure' causes overflow in R_X86_64_32 relocation
(... long list of similar messages ...)
build/svumb: Symbol `stg_INTLIKE_closure' causes overflow in R_X86_64_32 relocation
build/svumb: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x0b

Do those messages make sense to anyone? What is a "R_X86_64_32 relocation"?
What is a "reloc type"? What's happening??

Calling "sudo ldconfig" doesn't help.

The program uses the Qtah package, which is a Qt binding for Haskell. It
might have something to do with this. It can't be linked statically, because
then the following error occurs after starting the compiled and linked program:

.../build/svumb: error while loading shared libraries: libqtah.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Compiling it dynamically had worked, but now I have the problem above.

Regards,
Volker