[Haskell-cafe] Decorating exceptions with backtrace information

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:06:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 17:30, Henning Thielemann <
lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> From your list of examples I deduce that the proposal is about programming
> errors. But we have HasCallStack for that one. How does the proposal
> improve or alter the HasCallStack solution? And how does it relate to the
> IO exception system with hierarchical exceptions and SomeException and so
> on?

As a parallel item, maybe it would be good if incomplete patterns could
have a HasCallStack constraint so the current "Non-exaustive patterns in
function foo" message could be extended with a helpful backtrace? If a
programmer doesn't want this, then they could use complete matches?