Decorating exceptions with backtrace information

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu May 7 21:54:31 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

After a nice discussion on IRC about the unfortunate state of error
reporting in Haskell, I felt compelled to write down some long-lingering
thoughts regarding backtraces on exceptions. The result is GHC proposal
#330 [1]. I think the approach is viable and perhaps even
straightforward. I have the sketch of an implementation here [2].

Please have a look at the proposal and leave your comments. If there is
consensus it is possible that we could have this done for 8.12.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/330
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/3236