`StablePtr` in `ST`

Jon Purdy evincarofautumn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 19:38:14 UTC 2019

Our use case is unsafeCoercing a mutable reference to use as a key in an
IntMap. Our reasoning is that coercing an IORef/STRef is unsuitable because
the underlying MutVar# may move, invalidating the key (i.e., you cannot
safely coerce back if a GC has happened between insertion and reading). (If
that’s incorrect, do enlighten us!) This is a “very nice to have” for our
purposes—with the understanding that it’s wicked unsafe. ;)