Natural number comparisons with evidence

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 24 21:30:47 UTC 2018

I see this in GHC.TypeNats

sameNat :: (KnownNat a, KnownNat b) =>

           Proxy a -> Proxy b -> Maybe (a :~: b)

sameNat x y

  | natVal x == natVal y = Just (unsafeCoerce Refl)

  | otherwise            = Nothing

The unsafeCoerce says that sameNat is part of the trusted code base.  And indeed, it’s only because SNat is a private newtype (i.e its data constructor is private to GHC.TypeNats) that you can’t bogusly say    (SNat 7 :: SNat 8)

You want exactly the same thing, but for a comparison oriented data CompareEv, rather than its equality counterpart :~:.   So the same approach seems legitimate.

I always want code with unsafeCoerce to be clear about (a) why it’s necessary and (b) why it’s sound.

Simon