GHC 8.2.2 for WSL Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Feb 13 10:04:55 UTC 2018

I have made available a build of GHC 8.2.2 with the config option:
--disable-large-address-space

You may find this useful if you are using Ubuntu 16.04 on Windows
Subsystem for Linux.

https://github.com/zoominsoftware/ghc-8.2.2-wsl

Although Microsoft has been making gradual progress on the large
address mapping issue[1][2], and the situation is much improved, there
is still an extra startup latency of about 13 secs. for applications
that pre-map a large address space as GHC does by default. This makes
the standard GHC binary unusable for compiling projects of any
non-trivial size.

WSL is now out of beta. It can be enabled on any computer running
Windows 10. Almost all 64-bit linux binaries run fine out of the box
on WSL. GHC is unfortunately an exception, due to its large address
space mapping behavior. WSL is extremely useful as a development
platform, except for this annoyance for Haskell developers.

Could we consider providing binary installers with
--disable-large-address-space as an official part of our releases? It
seems that it would take very little extra work to do so: just run the
build for latest Debian twice, once as usual and once with
--disable-large-address-space. Is there anything I could do to help?

Thanks,
Yitz

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13304
[2] https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/1671