Fwd: Unable to compile ghc-8.2.2 with ghc-8.4.3

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:58:41 UTC 2018

Am Fr., 31. Aug. 2018 um 18:52 Uhr schrieb Ben Franksen <
ben.franksen at online.de>:

> Am 31.08.2018 um 11:57 schrieb Sven Panne:
> > Am Fr., 31. Aug. 2018 um 11:11 Uhr schrieb Sam Halliday <
> > sam.halliday at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> [...] It would make a lot of sense for the
> >> "unregistered" sources to be made available as an optional download
>
> Note that the term is "unregisterized" which refers to putting certain
> global variables into registers; you can't do that in C code.

That's only correct for standard C, for GCC there is
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Global-Register-Variables.html. IIRC
this is exactly how old unregistered builds worked. I am not even sure if
the unregistered builds ever worked *without* GCC, perhaps there was some
CPP magic, but I can't remember....