Getting segmentation fault on stack/cabal -any command, including stack --install-ghc, On windows.

Tamar Christina tamar at zhox.com
Sun Oct 22 08:51:02 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

It seems your problem is with HitmanPro that you have installed.

ExceptionAddress: 00007ffcc2b368ce (ntdll!RtlVirtualUnwind+0x000000000000001e)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
   Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000
   Parameter[1]: 00000000046710f6
Attempt to read from address 00000000046710f6
0:000> lmvm hmpalert
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
00007ffc`ba4b0000 00007ffc`ba595000   hmpalert   (export symbols)       hmpalert.dll
    Loaded symbol image file: hmpalert.dll
    Image path: C:\Windows\System32\hmpalert.dll
    Image name: hmpalert.dll
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Mon Jul 17 15:53:17 2017 (596CCF5D)
    CheckSum:         000F490C
    ImageSize:        000E5000
    File version:     3.6.8.604
    Product version:  3.6.8.604
    File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
    File OS:          40004 NT Win32
    File type:        2.0 Dll
    File date:        00000000.00000000
    Translations:     0400.04b0
    CompanyName:      SurfRight B.V.
    ProductName:      HitmanPro.Alert
    InternalName:     hmpalert.dll
    OriginalFilename: hmpalert_x64.dll
    ProductVersion:   3.6.8.604
    FileVersion:      3.6.8.604
    FileDescription:  HitmanPro.Alert 64-bit Support Library
    LegalCopyright:   © 2013-2017 SurfRight, a Sophos company
    Comments:         Incorporates Threatstar Exploit Mitigation Platform (EMP)

It seems HitmanPro is injecting itself into GHC's address space by throwing a signal
and forcing the process to halt. GHC prior to the upcoming 8.4 release interprets this
as one of it's needed dependencies crashing and so aborts the process before Hitman can
handle the signal it threw.

Until GHC 8.4 comes out, to get it working you should exclude the GHC binaries from Hitman's scanning.

Cheers,
Tamar

 ---- On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 23:24:11 +0000 Michael McCulloch <michael.james.mcculloch at gmail.com> wrote ----