8.2.1-rc2 upgrade report

Alberto Valverde alberto at toscat.net
Thu Jun 8 12:57:12 UTC 2017

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the pointer. I re-did both builds with -dshow-passes and made a
small script to plot the results of the lines which summarize the elapsed
time and allocated memory per phase and module. I've uploaded the raw logs,
a plot of the results and the script I wrote to generate it to
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/albertov/145ac5c01bfbadc5c9ff55e9c5c2e50e
.

The plotted results live here
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/albertov/145ac5c01bfbadc5c9ff55e9c5c2e50e/raw/8996644707fc5c18c1d42ad43ee31b1817509384/bench.png

Apparently, the biggest slowdown in respect to 8.0.2 seems to occur in the
SpecConstr and Simplifier passes in the Propag (where the "main" function
is) and the Sigym4.Propag.Engine (where the main algorithm lives) modules.

Any other tests that would be helpful for me to run? I'm not sure where to
start to create a reproducible case but I'll see if I can come up with
something soon...

Alberto