Trouble with injective type families

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Wed Jul 5 14:16:10 UTC 2017

I'd like to add that the reason we never extended System FC with support for injectivity is that the proof of soundness of doing so has remained elusive. A similar unsoundness in type improvement may cause unpredictable behavior in type inference, but it can't ever launch the rockets. So we keep it in type inference but out of FC.

Richard

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang-it at jeltsch.info> wrote:
>
> Dear Simon,
>
> thank you very much for this elaborate explanation.
>
> I stumbled on this issue when using functional dependencies years ago.
> The solution at that time was to use type families.
>
> I did not know that injectivity is handled analogously to functional
> dependencies. Given that it is, the syntax for injectivity makes a lot
> more sense.
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 06:45 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
>> Functional dependencies and type-family dependencies only induce extra
>> "improvement" constraints, not evidence.  For example
>>
>> 	class C a b | a -> b where foo :: a -> b
>> 	instance C Bool Int where ...
>>
>> 	f :: C Bool b => b -> Int
>> 	f x = x	-- Rejected
>>
>> Does the fundep on 'b' allow us to deduce (b ~ Int), GADT-like, in the
>> body of 'f', and hence accept the definition.  No, it does not.  Think
>> of the translation into System F. We get
>>
>> 	f = /\b \(d :: C Bool b). \(x::b).  x |> ???
>>
>> What evidence can I used to cast 'x' by to get it from type 'b' to
>> Int?
>>
>> Rather, fundeps resolve ambiguity.  Consider
>>
>> 	g x = foo True + x
>>
>> The call to 'foo True' gives rise to a "wanted" constraint (C Bool
>> beta), where beta is a fresh unification variable.  Then by the fundep
>> we get an "improvement" constraint (also "wanted") (beta ~ Int). So we
>> can infer g :: Int -> Int.
>>

>> In your example we have
>>
>>    x :: forall a b. (T Int ~ b) => a
>>    x = False
>>
>> Think of the System F translation:
>>
>>    x = /\a b. \(d :: T Int ~ b). False |> ??
>>
>> Again, what evidence can we use to cast False to 'a'.
>>

>> In short, fundeps and type family dependencies only add extra
>> unification constraints, which may help to resolve ambiguous
>> types.  They don’t provide evidence.  That's not to say that they
>> couldn't.  But you'd need to extend System FC, GHC's core language, to
>> do so.
>>
>> Simon

>>> users&data=02%7C01%7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7Cc333fbaff2f4406c337e0
>>> 8d4c3
>>> 3bd1bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C6363481090820179
>>> 89&sd