How to get a heap visualization

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Aug 30 15:34:05 UTC 2017

I need a simple heap visualization for debugging purposes.
I'm using GHC 8.0.2 to compile a large and complex yesod-based
web app. What's the quickest and easiest way?

Vacuum looks simple and nice. But it has some long-outstanding
PRs against it to support GHC 7.10 and GHC 8.0 that were never
applied.

https://github.com/thoughtpolice/vacuum/issues/9

Getting ghc-vis to compile looks hopeless, for a number of reasons.
The dependencies on gtk and cairo are huge. It hasn't been updated
on Hackage for a year and a half. It requires base < 4.9. I need to run
the visualizer either on a headless Ubuntu 16.04 server, or locally on
Windows. And anyway, the fancy GUI in ghc-vis is way overkill for me.

The heap scraper backend for ghc-vis, ghc-heap-view, looks usable,
and better supported than vacuum. But is there a quick and simple
visualizer for its output, without ghc-vis?

Is there anything else? Is the best option to fork vacuum and and try
to apply the PRs?