What happened to -optdep option?

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Thu May 5 19:19:01 UTC 2016

Hello!

I'm using GHC 7.10.3 after an upgrade. I have the following in my Makefile:

depend_mod :: lib/abh
	ghc -M $(CFLAGS_GHC_0) -dep-makefile -optdepbuild/depend.tmp -dep-suffix "p_"
\
	       $(foreach m, $(MOD_HS) $(PROG_HS), src/$(m).hs) \
	       $(foreach m, $(MOD_CHS) $(PROG_CHS), build/$(m).hs)

This used to work. The previous GHC version was 7.8.

Now GHC complains:

-optdepbuild/depend.tmp: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
directory)

This looks like the -optdep argument isn't understood. There is no mention of
it in the new/7.10.3 user manual. I don't know any longer what this "-optget"
argument does, and it isn't in the documentation any longer.

I googled the GHC web site. There it is mentioned that -optdep was deprecated,
but almost all of the hits are very outdated (like ten years old).

Can soneone tell me, how I should change my Makefile..?

Greetings,
Volker Wysk