Proposal process status

Alexander Berntsen alexander at plaimi.net
Thu Jul 21 13:29:47 UTC 2016

I'm replying to this to clarify that I object to GitHub in order to
have a clear conscience, not because I think GitHub is a "bad tool".
Attempting to shoot down my arguments against GitHub with arguments
for convenience or it being a "a good tool", or popular, or whatever,
do not work. To me, GitHub is not even an alternative to begin with.
Of course, I don't expect most (or even any) devs here to agree with
my position, but I wanted to elucidate it nonetheless, so that you may
understand it better.

On 21/07/16 10:59, Sven Panne wrote:
> like it or not, the Haskell community already relies *heavily* on
> GitHub, and it seems that most people don't have a problem with
> that or consider the alternatives inferior.
Just because other people are doing The Wrong Thing, it does not mean
that you need to do it too, nor does it excuse your doing it.

> And I don't understand the point about "proprietary client-side
> JavaScript" at all: Should we stop using 99% of the Internet
> because some server sends us some JavaScript we have no license
> for?
If you value your freedom: yes. It's proprietary software executed on
your computer, just like any other proprietary software executed on your
computer[0].

> And what about all those routers/switches/etc. in between which
> connect you to the rest of the world: They definitely run
> proprietary SW, and nobody cares (for a good reason).
Those do not execute proprietary software on your computer, so that's
not comparable.

> Don't get me wrong: I'm very much for Open Source, but let's not
> go over the top here. Let's use a tool basically everybody knows
> and focus on the content, not on the technology.
I am not in favour of open source at all, I am in favour of free
software. The issue is ethical, not technological, and saying "let's not
go over the top" does not make sense to me, as it is an ethical
position.

[0]  <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html>
- --
Alexander