Proposal process status

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Wed Jul 20 21:50:39 UTC 2016

Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit of an outsider here as I'm not involved in GHC development (but
> I am interested in how it goes). I've struggled with my own desire to
> avoid using proprietary software like GitHub, and the desire to work with
> those who favor it, so I am interested in how these competing desires can
> be addressed.
>
> Would the barrier to entry to a non-GitHub system be reduced by using
> GitHub for user authentication/accounts (like http://exercism.io/ ), or is
> knowing how to use other software too much of a barrier (I guess that
> would depend on the software…)?

To some extent. The size of the barrier posed by an alternate
system isn't a discrete quantity and is highly dependent upon one's
frame of reference. Many people won't wander from GitHub at all; other
won't even register for a GitHub account. People vary widely in their
preferences, which is what makes this problem so difficult.

Cheers,

- Ben