Proposal process status

Thomas Miedema thomasmiedema at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:45:28 UTC 2016

>   * What would you like to see changed in the proposed process, if
>     anything?

*Simon Peyton Jones as Benevolent Dictator For Life (BDFL)*

If the BDFL had made a simple YES/NO decision on ShortImports [1] and
ArgumentDo [2], we wouldn't be here talking about process proposals,
Anthony wouldn't be mad, everything would be fine. We don't need another
Haskell committee.

* Keep using Trac for proposals, but use the description field of a ticket
for the specification, instead of separate wiki page.

* Add better filtering possibilities to Trac (say someone wants to only
subscribe to tickets where syntax extensions are discussed). Adding better
filtering possibilities will also benefit bug fixers (say someone wants to
only subscribe to bugs on Windows or with keyword=PatternSynonyms).

* Don't let hotly debated feature requests go without a resolution.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictator_for_life
[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10478
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10843