Re: suppress warning "Defined but not used: type variable ‘x’" in GHC-8.0

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 05:24:48 UTC 2016

As a data point I now get thousands of occurrences of this warning across
my packages.

It is quite annoying.

class Foo a where
  type Bar a

instance Foo [a] where
  type Bar [a] = Int

is enough to trigger it.

And you can't turn it off by using _ as

instance Foo [_] where
  type Bar [_] = Int

isn't legal.

I've been avoiding it for now by using

  if impl(ghc >= 8)

    ghc-options: -fno-warn-unused-matches

but this is a pretty awful addition to this warning as it stands.
-Edward