Reconsidering -Wall and -Wcompat

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Feb 14 22:45:14 UTC 2016

[Deliberately restricting my reply to one mailing list. Cross-posting
is usually not required.]

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 14.02.2016, 19:51 +0100 schrieb Sven Panne:
> As stated on the Wiki, stuff in -Wcompat will often be non-
> actionable,

you omitted the important “if backwards compatibility is desired;”. The
sometimes complicated hoops that you will have to jump through to gain
3-release-backward-compatibility are not something I expect every
developer to follow, and for most others, “adjust early to API changes”
will more likely be the sensible thing to do. Those might want to leave
-Wcompat in their builds.

Greetings,
Joachim

--