HEADS UP: Need 7.10.3?

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Sep 14 13:53:38 UTC 2015

Hi *,

(This is an email primarily aimed at users reading this list and
developers who have any interest).

As some of you may know, there's currently a 7.10.3 milestone and
status page on our wiki:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.3

The basic summary is best captured on the above page:

"We have not yet decided when, or even whether, to release GHC 7.10.3.
We will do so if (but only if!) we have documented cases of
"show-stoppers" in 7.10.2. Namely, cases from users where

  - You are unable to use 7.10.2 because of some bug
  - There is no reasonable workaround, so you are truly stuck
  - We know how to fix it
  - The fix is not too disruptive; i.e. does not risk introducing a
raft of new bugs"

That is, we're currently not fully sold on the need for a release.
However, the milestone and issue page serve as a useful guide, and
also make it easier to keep track of smaller, point-release worthy
issues.

So in the wake of the 8.0 roadmap I just sent: If you *need* 7.10.3
because the 7.10.x series has a major regression or problem you can't
work around, let us know!

  - Find or file a bug in Trac
  - Make sure it's highest priority
  - Assign it to the 7.10.3 milestone
  - Follow up on this email if possible, or edit it on the status page
text above - it would be nice to get some public feedback in one place
about what everyone needs.

Currently we have two bugs on the listed page in the 'show stopper
category', possibly the same bug, which is a deal-breaker for HERMIT I
believe. Knowing of anything else would be very useful.

Thanks all!

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant