type error formatting

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Oct 25 20:45:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 25.10.2015, 21:30 +0100 schrieb MigMit:
> Doesn't seem worth it to me. Current format is quite parseable, and
> not really bad for human eyes either.

I know that you meant this as a litote, but let me ignore that I know
that for a moment to reply, that “not really bad” is definitely not
good enough for me, and I want the compiler to print messages that are
meant for my consumption to be in the _best_ possible format. Or at
least try that.

Obviously, there is no “best” for every human. But things get easier if
we do not have to overly worry about computers as well.

It goes the other way as well. IDEs would tremendously benefit if the
error location would not just be a position but a whole span. But
clearly (I hope) we do not want to include this information in the
output that we read.

BTW, does Emacs really parse _this_ bit of information? Most GHC
integrations that I have seen match on the first line to indicate the
file and position of the overall error, and take the error verbatim.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner