type error formatting

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Oct 25 20:21:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 24.10.2015, 13:14 -0700 schrieb Evan Laforge:
> WRT the "bound at" bits in "relevant bindings", I have no strong
> opinion.  What about omitting them if they are in the same file as
> the main error?  Or maybe they always are?  I'm not totally clear how
> it chooses which bindings are relevant.

take one step at a time, and fix the issue you are having within
#11014. Once that is through and merged, then (or in parallel to)
trying to trim down the bound-at messages can be attempted.

Am Samstag, den 24.10.2015, 22:30 +0200 schrieb MigMit:
> At the very least, "bound at" should help IDEs (Emacs in particular)
> show exactly the right places.

an IDE that offers such a deep integration will hopefully not parse
data meant for human consumption. We have had this discussion before
(in the context of avoiding or merging multiple instances of the same
error message, such as “foo not in scope”), and I continue to argue
that the error messages printed by default should be tailored for the
human reader.

IDEs should ideally make use of something based on the GHC API. If that
is not possible, then I’d advocate a flag, say "-fverbose-error-
messages" or similar that includes all detail that might be relevant
for an IDE, and maybe even in a nicer-to-parse format.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner